mail11v3 problem

David C. White davew at gvgpsa.GVG.TEK.COM
Mon Apr 9 12:19:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Apr8.215643.19948 at binky.Binky.COM> roger at binky.Binky.COM (Roger Taranto) writes:
>We're getting a number of "Lost connection to remote node while
>confirming delivery" errors from mail11v3.  When I run sendmail
>with -v, the mail delivery is fine until the QUIT command.  Then,
>we get the above error.  What could be causing this?

This may be related to the other problems that have been recently
discussed about mail11v3 in this group.  I had this problem with a
message that had a very long To: line.  After going through all the
usual gyrations of trying to find the problem, I went into the mail
queue and edited the To: line and cut it down quite a bit.  Delivery
was successful after that.  Unfortunately, I didn't count the number of
characters in the To: line, but there were at least 20-25
names at machine.domain in the line.  I seem to recall seeing something
about limits on the line lengths that the VMS mailer was able to
handle.  Right now I'm not sure if this is an Ultrix or a VMS problem.
Anybody shed some light on this?
--
Dave White	Grass Valley Group, Inc.   VOICE: +1 916.478.3052
P.O. Box 1114  	Grass Valley, CA  95945    FAX: +1 916.478.3887
Internet: davew at gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com
UUCP: ...!tektronix!gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com!davew