LAT printers shared between VMS/Ultrix hanging

Matt Thomas thomas at mipsbx.nac.dec.com
Thu Apr 12 18:38:11 AEST 1990

> We share LAT printers all over campus between VMS and Ultrix.  Unfortunately,
> they have a nasty habit of hanging on the Ultrix side because it refuses to
> let go of the port.  The only way to free it up is to 1) log out the port,
> or 2) go into lpc on Ultrix and abort the daemon.

How did you configure the LAT ports?  Do you use /etc/printcap to specify
the terminal server and port?  Or do you that via lcp -h?  Is this VAX or RISC?
What type of terminal server?  What version?

> I received a patch for LAT from DEC that was supposed to fix the problem but
> it still happens.  We're running Ultrix 3.1.

The patch was supposed to fix the problem?  Hmmm, that's peculiar.  Once I
get the information above, I can what you what to do once it happens again.
Hopefully that will give me enough information to generate a fix.
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas at wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.