LAT printers shared between VMS/Ultrix hanging

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Apr 12 12:32:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Apr11.171258.19010 at gumby.cc.wmich.edu> peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) writes:
> We share LAT printers all over campus between VMS and Ultrix.  Unfortunately,
> they have a nasty habit of hanging on the Ultrix side because it refuses to
> let go of the port.  The only way to free it up is to 1) log out the port,
> or 2) go into lpc on Ultrix and abort the daemon.
>
> I received a patch for LAT from DEC that was supposed to fix the problem but
> it still happens.  We're running Ultrix 3.1.

I'd make sure that you have all the LAT patches and that you have the latest
server images in (all) your servers.  The DS200 server images that's been
distributed is BL33, but the current version if you have problems is 33D.
It is rumored that some of the intermediate versions fix "server hanging"
problems.  I don't know what the situation is with other servers.  Contact
software support with regard to Server Software in addition to Ultrix LAT,
they're not necesarily the same thing...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com