VS2000 Serial port

Andy S Poling andy at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Tue Aug 7 09:26:36 AEST 1990

In article <2071.26bd28b1 at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> powers at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>About a week ago I asked for information about using the 25 pin serial port
>on a VAXstation 2000 for SLIP.  I haven't gotten any responses and am still
>having no luck.  Now I'd like to just get the port working for a terminal.
>
>When I plug in a set of RS232 test lights nothing comes up, same is true if
>I use a vt320 terminal.  I'm convinced that the cable from the port to the
>tester is good (checked on another machine).
>
>I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to
>resurrect this guy.

Just for general info, I finally found where I read about what ports 0-3 on
the VS2000 can be.  Looking at the man page for ss(4) reveals that these
assignments differ depending upon whether you have a real condole (on the
printer port) or a "virtual" console on your VR-whatever.

What alarms me is where it seems to imply that because I am using a real
console terminal on the printer port, I cannot connect any other terminal
devices.  Can this be true?!  I was counting on being able to use that port
for secure logins.

-Andy
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy at gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group                   Bitnet: ANDY at JHUNIX
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (301)338-8096
Johns Hopkins University                 UUCP: uunet!mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!andy