Problems with NFS and SunOS 4.1

Mike Iglesias iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
Fri Dec 14 06:16:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec11.222040.24999 at ee.rochester.edu> dela at ee.rochester.edu (Del Armstrong) writes:
>Has anybody else seen this problem? I just brought up a DecStation
>500/200 under 4.1 (all my others are at 3.1D), and tried to reproduce the
>problem. I couldn't get NFS mounts on a Sparc 4/470 under SunOS 4.1 to
>fail! I'm planing to upgrade the rest of my DecStations to 4.1 over
>the holiday. But if NFS is really broken I'll have to reconsider.

I have received mail from a few other people who have seen this problem too.
What I have found so far is that if you put the partition in /etc/fstab
on the Sun, it will mount the partition during a boot with no problems.
If you try to mount the partition by hand, it will fail.

I've been talking to the Ultrix people here at DECUS about this, so maybe
we'll have a real solution soon.  From my experiences noted above,
I'm begining to feel that this may be a Sun problem, not an Ultrix problem.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias at uci