Problems with NFS and SunOS 4.1

Alex Bottonelli alex at bma35b.ma02.bull.com
Fri Dec 7 09:36:05 AEST 1990

In article <27515DAB.24702 at orion.oac.uci.edu>, iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
> We have a DECstation 5000/200 running Ultrix 4.1 and various Sun
> workstations, some running SunOS 4.0.3 and some running SunOS 4.1.
> When we try to NFS mount a DECstation partition on the Suns, the mount
> works fine on the Suns running 4.0.3 and doesn't work on the Suns
> running 4.1, failing with "Invalid client credential".  This partition
> was previously served by a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix 3.1, which
> worked fine with SunOS 4.1.  Due to circumstances beyond my control,
> the partition had to be moved to the 5000 running Ultrix 4.1, and now
> it doesn't work (and people are lining up at my door complaining!).
> Of course, other Ultrix systems (v3.1, v4.x) can mount the partition.
>
> I've checked all the obvious things: /etc/exports, /etc/netgroup,
> /etc/hosts, rebuilt the YP maps, etc.  We're running mountd on the
> DECstation without -i temporarily because of some unrelated (yes, I'm
> sure) problems.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a fix available?

Well, I can't tell from your explanation whether or not this is your
problem, but I think I have seen this before when moving from one
Unix BSD platform to another Unix Platform. SOmetimes the /etc/export
file must define a "mount point file system" that is no sub-directories
(for example if /usr is a file system you cannot define /usr/proj in
/etc/exports). Under other implementations that is allowed (although
the first case is perfectly compliant with Sun Specs).

Hope this can help ....

     ____        ___ 		||  Alessandro Bottonelli
    /   /  /    /    |/		||  Bull Hn Italia
   /---/  /    /---  /		||  141 Needham St. - Ms 213
  /   /  /___ /___  /|		||  Tel. xx1-617-552-6471