Bootable copies of Ultrix dist tapes. How?

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Thu Dec 13 11:47:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec12.184633.29053 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, burrsie at uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Burr Nelson) writes:

> Sorry if this has already been covered before, but does
> anyone know the trick to creating a bootable duplicate of a
> TK50 Ultrix distribution tape?

	VAX or RISC?  (Don't bother answering, it only matters
	a little...)

	Except for the first two files on an ULTRIX distribution
	all the files have a 10 KB block size.  The 3rd file is
	a dump(8) format backup of the root file system.  The
	4th file is a tar(1) archive of the installation control
	files.  It has a file in it (ULT.image) that has the rest
	of the files and their checksums.

	The first two files are the boot program(s), with a block
	size of 512 bytes.  On either the VAX or RISC tape the 2nd
	file is empty and can be 10 KB.

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com