Making the DS3100 floppy do stuff

Jim Flanagan flanagan at lisbon.stat.washington.edu
Tue Dec 4 04:33:56 AEST 1990

In article <3052 at canisius.UUCP> pavlov at canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) writes:
>In article <11862 at milton.u.washington.edu>, flanagan at lisbon.stat.washington.edu (Jim Flanagan) writes:
>>
>>   Third question: Rebuilding the kernel by hand was FUN! Why did DEC take
>>   this away from us? (If you try to do it by hand under 4.0, it rarely works)
>>
>   I am not sure what you mean.  I have been rebuilding ULTRIX kernels the
>   same general way from version 2.1 on thru 4.0 .  Tho I admit I never tried
>   putting together my own makefile for the task.....
>
>    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
>    pavlov at stewart.fstrf.org

  Well, unless I use the "doconfig" when making the kernel (which has been
  known to give unpredictable results, like removing important device drivers
  entries, &c.) I get a whole lot of undefined symbol errors. I thought I was
  doing something stupid, asked a few other programmers on campus who complained
  of the same problem. Maybe we're ALL doing something stupid.

  Most of the departmants on campus (due to our site agreement) are using the
  same set of tapes to install... copies made by a campus agency... I don't
  know.

  Thanks for the rebuttal,

---
Jim Flanagan, Sys. Programmer = flanagan at stat.washington.edu
Dept. of Statistics	      =          stat.washington.edu
University of Washington      =               washington.edu