building kernels

James E. Leinweber jiml at uwslh.slh.wisc.edu
Sat Dec 8 05:25:15 AEST 1990

flanagan at lisbon.stat.washington.edu (Jim Flanagan) writes:

>>>Third question: Rebuilding the kernel by hand was FUN! Why did DEC take
>>>this away from us? (If you try to do it by hand under 4.0, it rarely works)

>  Well, unless I use the "doconfig" when making the kernel (which has been
>  known to give unpredictable results, like removing important device drivers
>  entries, &c.) I get a whole lot of undefined symbol errors...

Ultrix seems to choke building kernels unless you do a "make clean"
in between.  I don't have any trouble "by hand" with sequences like:

config; cd /sys/VAX/whatever; make clean; make depend; make vmunix

--
Jim Leinweber  (608)262-0736   State Lab. of Hygiene/U. of Wisconsin - Madison
jiml at sente.slh.wisc.edu	       uunet!uwvax!uwslh!jiml        fax:(608)262-3257