go away you don't exist

Jeff Russ russ at silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Sun Dec 2 13:47:46 AEST 1990

I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago after installing Ultrix 4.0
and forgot to update the /etc/ttys file.  Make sure that you have
defined all of the network pseudoterminals in /etc/ttys.
Do a "ls -l /dev/tty[q-z]?" to see what pseudoterminals you have.

I wonder if poor old Ken Olson is aware of the silly messages shipping
in his company's product.  Fortunately we had the source code around
and I was able to find the problem in a few minutes but it sure would
be nice to have a more descriptive error message.
Jeff Russ				russ at silver.ucs.indiana.edu
University Computing Services		PHONE: (812) 855-2733
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN     I want to buy old PDP[4-9] systems.