Installing Ultrix 4.1 (RISC) can't find my second disk

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Wed Dec 19 08:43:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec17.211102.5978 at watcgl.waterloo.edu}, idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
} >	This is the expected behaviour and actually documented
} >	in the release novel.  The installation kernel will only
} >	find the first Q-BUS/UNIBUS MSCP disk controller.
}
} I can't find the relevant section in the 4.1 release novel.  Where?

	Section 1.4.4 "System Configuration When Disk Controllers Are
	in Floating Address Space", page 1-20.
}
} This is a step backwards.  The 3.1C genvmunix could find everything;
} the 4.1 genvmunix cannot.
}
} Someone suggested that the section dealing with sizer no longer assigning
} disks to the second controller in the floating address space was
} relevant, but I think not.  The 4.1 genvmunix doesn't find the second
} controller *at all*; this has nothing to do with sizer or bulding the
} config file later.  The 4.1 genvmunix only finds one controller and disk
} when it boots, and the advanced installation asks you all those questions
} about where you want to put things without knowing about the second disk.

	Not finding disks on the second controller is what we seem
	to call a restriction.  Not finding the 2nd controller may
	be a bug.
} --
} -IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
}  [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com