Installing Ultrix 4.1 (RISC) can't find my second disk

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
Tue Dec 18 08:11:02 AEST 1990

>	This is the expected behaviour and actually documented
>	in the release novel.  The installation kernel will only
>	find the first Q-BUS/UNIBUS MSCP disk controller.

I can't find the relevant section in the 4.1 release novel.  Where?

This is a step backwards.  The 3.1C genvmunix could find everything;
the 4.1 genvmunix cannot.

Someone suggested that the section dealing with sizer no longer assigning
disks to the second controller in the floating address space was
relevant, but I think not.  The 4.1 genvmunix doesn't find the second
controller *at all*; this has nothing to do with sizer or bulding the
config file later.  The 4.1 genvmunix only finds one controller and disk
when it boots, and the advanced installation asks you all those questions
about where you want to put things without knowing about the second disk.

>	Simple.  Put the 2nd disk on the first controller.  Then move
>	it back when you're done.

Not quite so simple.  The first controller is the built-in one on the
5400.  To get at it, you have to do some serious disassembly of the
front panel.  No fun at all.  I elected to do the single-disk minimal
installation, built a proper kernel, moved stuff to where I really
wanted it, then did the rest of the setld subsets.

What I'm really proud of is that I did the over-the-net install from an
Ultrix 3.1C machine.  I figured out what had to be done to make the new
4.1 RIS stuff coexist with the old 3.x RIS stuff, so I can boot either
version of Ultrix from the same RIS server (running Ultrix 3.1C).
Any time I read something that says "this can't be done", I just get that
urge to prove them wrong...
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada