Installing Ultrix 4.1 (RISC) can't find my second disk

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
Thu Dec 13 21:21:15 AEST 1990

I have two RA90 disks, one on each KDA50 controller in my 5400.
The ROOT file system's kernel only finds the first controller, so the
advanced installation never asks me to put anything on my second disk.

Just to make sure it wasn't hardware, I copied the Ultrix 3.1C kernel
over and booted it; yes, it found both controllers and both disks.

Does this have something to do with the "floating" address space?
Why did it work under Ultrix 3.1C?

So unless someone has a clever thought, it looks as though I'll have to
try to install the system on a single disk, make a 4.1 kernel that sees
both disks, then redo the whole thing from scratch again using my own
kernel in place of the installation one from the ROOT file.
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada