Installing Ultrix 4.1 (RISC) can't find my second disk

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Fri Dec 14 02:38:38 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec13.102115.12468 at watcgl.waterloo.edu>, idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
> I have two RA90 disks, one on each KDA50 controller in my 5400.
> The ROOT file system's kernel only finds the first controller, so the
> advanced installation never asks me to put anything on my second disk.

	This is the expected behaviour and actually documented
	in the release novel.  The installation kernel will only
	find the first Q-BUS/UNIBUS MSCP disk controller.

> Just to make sure it wasn't hardware, I copied the Ultrix 3.1C kernel
> over and booted it; yes, it found both controllers and both disks.

	The kernel that gets built as the last step in the installation
	has everything found on it's behalf.

> Does this have something to do with the "floating" address space?

	Yes.

> Why did it work under Ultrix 3.1C?

	Sitting here thinking about I'm not sure how it works.  The
	2nd phase of the installation uses the "generic" kernel.
	Somehow a program called sizer (that is probably undocumented)
	uses it to find every supported device ont he bus.  How
	the generic kernel manages not to find I don't know, unless
	sizer does some serious magick.

> So unless someone has a clever thought, it looks as though I'll have to
> try to install the system on a single disk, make a 4.1 kernel that sees
> both disks, then redo the whole thing from scratch again using my own
> kernel in place of the installation one from the ROOT file.

	Simple.  Put the 2nd disk on the first controller.  Then move
	it back when you're done.

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com