adding fujitsu drive to decstation 3100

Rob McNicholas robm at janus.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Dec 18 11:06:13 AEST 1990

Hi all,

I'm trying to add a Fujitsu M2263SA drive to a DECstation 3100.  I
received a sheet with the drive that specified the disk layout thusly:

a.	Starting Cylinder  0	No. cyls 23850
b.			  30		 58830
c.			   0	       1313340
d.
e.
f.
g.			 104	       1230660

Assuming the "no. cyls." number is actually the number of blocks in a
partition, I tried to change the partition table on the drive to match
this.  (There was no entry in /etc/disktab for this drive.)  chpt -q
showed no partition table.  So, I did a 'mkfs 23850 /dev/rrz2a' to
make a file system (as required by chpt), then tried to this:

chpt -pa 0 23850 -pb 23851 58830 -pc 0 1313340 -pg 82681 1230660 /dev/rrz2a

However, chpt says:

chpt: cannot set partition table in driver: Mount device busy

Does anyone have any suggestions?  What, exactly, will cause this
error?  The drive was not mounted at the time.

For completeness sake, the drive identifies itself as:

rz2 at sii0 slave 2 (RZxx) [ FUJITSU_M2263S-512       0168 ]

Other info about the drive:

Physical Cylinders:	1658
Data Cylinders:		1652
No. Alternates:		2
No. Heads		15
Sectors/Track:		53
Interleave:		1:1

I'm running Ultrix 4.1 (Rev. 52).

Many thanks in advance for any clues.

Rob McNicholas			Computer Systems Support Group, U.C. Berkeley
robm at janus.berkeley.edu		....!ucbvax!janus!robm
Home: 415/339-1514		Work: 415/642-8633