Problems with NFS and SunOS 4.1

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Mon Dec 24 15:01:50 AEST 1990

In article <2774FE89.10104 at orion.oac.uci.edu> Mike Iglesias <iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu> writes:

>I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Suns or Ultrix.  Does anyone
>know if there's a limitation in the mount protocol for the number of
>groups that can be passed in the credentials?

	I think it's a problem with the old Sun RPC protocol's authorization
system - there's a value NGROUP /usr/include/sys/param.h - on my SunOs3.X
system it is set as:
#define        NGROUPS 8               /* max number groups */

on my ULTRIX 4.0 system:
#define	NGROUPS	32		/* max number groups */

	I'm not sure *who*s problem it is - I'd say it's a problem with
the protocol. A quick grep of the RPC code indicates it's hardcoded right
into authunix_create_default(), where it calls getgroups() - which is also
hard-limited.

mjr.
--
"Don't include .signature twice"   [From the notebooks of a heretic, 1990]