Problems with NFS and SunOS 4.1

Mike Iglesias iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
Mon Dec 24 05:59:21 AEST 1990

Regarding the problems I and others have had mounting Ultrix v4.1 (v4.0 too?)
partitions on Sun v4.1 systems, we have found one solution.  Our Ultrix
system is a NIS(YP) server for the the Sun, and root ended up in 10
groups on the Sun when the local-to-Sun and NIS groups were put together.
When we reduced the number of groups to 8, the mounts no longer failed
with "invalid client credential", and the mounts succeeded.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Suns or Ultrix.  Does anyone
know if there's a limitation in the mount protocol for the number of
groups that can be passed in the credentials?

Several people sent me email about checking the number of groups that root
was in.  Between the crisis-of-the-day here and going to DECUS, I didn't get a
chance to check it out until earlier this week.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias at uci