Bootable copies of Ultrix dist tapes. How?

Howard B Owen hbo at sbphy.physics.ucsb.edu
Fri Dec 21 19:06:13 AEST 1990

burrsie at uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Burr Nelson) writes:
|> >Sorry if this has already been covered before, but does
|> >anyone know the trick to creating a bootable duplicate of a
|> >TK50 Ultrix distribution tape?  ...

    What I have done in the past was to analyze the structure of the boot tapes
with a utility
called tapemap, copied the individual files to disk with dd, then copied them
back out to a duplicate tape. This could go tape to tape, of course. Tapemap is
pretty simple. It reads each
record of each file, and finds the largest  record, which it reports as the
blocksize of that file.
I can send the source and man page via mail if anyone needs it.

Howard Owen, Computer Systems Manager    internet: hbo at sbphy.physics.ucsb.edu
Physics Computer Services                BITNET: HBO at VOODOO.BITNET
University of California, Santa Barbara  HEPNET/SPAN:   VOODOO::HBO
"I am not a pay TV service!"             805-893-8366 (work)