Size of the X server process growing uncontrollably!

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Wed Feb 21 03:09:32 AEST 1990

In article <77334 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> muhanna at stock.cob.ohio-state.edu (Waleed A. Muhanna) writes:
>What concerns me the most, however, is the fact that the virtual
>(memory) size of the X server process keeps growing, sometimes to
>the point where I have to reboot to reclaim swap space.

You don't have to reboot.  Just use a 'ps -aux' to get the
pid of the Xqdsg or Xqvsm process, then use 'kill -KILL pid'.

init will detect the missing login and fork off another Xq?s? for you.

>This problem seemed to be present in UWS2.0, but it has gotten worse
>since I switch to UWS2.2.

Yep.  There's something about UWS software that doesn't
understand that you gotta free(3) what you malloc(3).

>Any suggestions as to what is causing this problems would be greatly
>appreciated.   Is there a way around it?  How can I curtail this
>growth?

You can't, except by preventing users from using the system...

You can use a one-liner to find and kill your server:

  kill -KILL `ps -aux | grep Xq | grep -v grep | colrm 15 | colrm 1 9`

DON'T put this in the crontab(5)!  When you kill the server, you kill
the logins running under it, though not completely, but enough to make
some poor user's life miserable.  Kill the server only when there is
nobody using the display.

				--Blair
				  "But that's another story..."