Size of the X server process growing uncontrollably!

Waleed A. Muhanna muhanna at stock.cob.ohio-state.edu
Tue Feb 20 14:10:27 AEST 1990

Last week, I installed UWS2.2 on a VAXstation 3100.  I noticed that
the sizes of the server (Xqvsm) and various clients (e.g.,
dxsession, dxterm) are now about 1.5 times the sizes of their
counterparts in UWS2.0.   I understand the Xqvsm now has DPS support,
but why did the memory requirements for the various clients increase?
I didn't notice any increased functionality in those clients.

What concerns me the most, however, is the fact that the virtual
(memory) size of the X server process keeps growing, sometimes to
the point where I have to reboot to reclaim swap space.   I wonder
if others out there in netland have experienced this phenomenon.

This problem seemed to be present in UWS2.0, but it has gotten worse
since I switch to UWS2.2.

Any suggestions as to what is causing this problems would be greatly
appreciated.   Is there a way around it?  How can I curtail this
growth?

Thank you very much in advance!

seeking help,
--Waleed