UWS 2.2 out yet ??????

Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A evans at testmax.ZK3.DEC.COM
Tue Feb 6 00:37:39 AEST 1990

In article <3973 at ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, steved at longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu
(Steve Dempsey) writes:

> We received UWS 2.2 yesterday (Feb. 2).  It contains the same base system
> changes as the Ultrix V3.1 upgrade, plus new/patched scsi support for the
> kernel.  The remainder is all UWS.  It looks like you get Display PostScript,
> new (updated) servers, and new clients.
>
> And all the MIT clients have moved to /usr/bin/X11.  I couldn't find anything
> in the .scp files to remove the old ones, so you may end up with duplictes
> left in /usr/bin.  So much for unsupported subsets. :-(

I believe that the instructions for installing UWS2.2 tell you to first
delete any UWS2.0 and UWS2.1 subsets, before adding the UWS2.2 subsets.
This will
eliminate the problem of obsolete bits being left around on your system. Try
the following command at single user level to remove the old UWS bits:

yes|setld -d `setld -i|egrep 'U(WS)|(DW).*(install)|(corr)'|awk '{print $1}'`

This will delete all UWS or UDW subsets that were either installed properly
or installed corrupt.

> I probably won't install UWS 2.2 right away; I can live without DPS and don't
> have any other big problems with UWS 2.1 that need fixing.

At the very least you will want the base system patches. Your SCSI and NFS
performance should increase with these patches (at least for the RZ23's).
There are also a number of bugs that have been fixed since UWS2.1 in the
servers as well as in libX11.a, along with some performance enhancements.
You may find it worth your while to upgrade and just not use the DPS extension.
You can indicate that it should not be initialized in the /.Xdefaults by having
a resource line which says "XSessionManager*initializeDPS: False" (default is
True).

>         Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
>   Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
> INET: steved at longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey at handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
> UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved,
...!ncar!handel!dempsey