Twm and TCP/IP routing for a DEC VT1000 X terminal

Gerard K. Newman gkn at ucsd.Edu
Thu Jul 12 02:02:23 AEST 1990

In article <2710 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> fasteddy at amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <1990Jul6.170446.10025 at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, cks at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Siebenmann) writes...
>: We have a just-delivered DEC VT1000 X terminals (ROM rev 1.2, 2M RAM)
>:here, and we've run into some problems with it. The first is that it
>:can't seem to reach anything except the network/Ethernet it's on. When
>:we try and start up a Telnet session, the terminal tells us that IP
>:address is unreachable
>
>Initial versions of the VT1000 did not have the ability to static route, nor
>listen to IP routing protocols.  I inquired at the last DECUS and got the
>impression that new roms would be shipped (near term) to provide this
>functionality.

The new ROMs sitting in the VT1000 behind me fix many problems, including
the ability to add routes and the byte-sex fix so it will talk X to non-
little-endian machines [yay!]  It still doesn't talk to the line-mode TELNET
server on my CRAY, but I can live with that because I can crank an XTERM
on the CRAY.  It even will talk to a name server.

Will I trade my 3100 for it?  No.

gkn
San Diego Supercomputer Center