5400 binary and 3100 binary, are they compatible both ways?

Farhad Shakeri farhad at CS.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jul 24 05:03:38 AEST 1990

In article scs at iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
|> [my stuff deleted]...

|> grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
|> >I'm doing essentially the same thing with a 3100 and a 5800 with
|> >3.1c and haven't noticed any problems of this sort.
|>
|> Hmm . . . DEC went out of their way to tell us *not* to run Ultrix 3.1c
|> binaries on 3100s -- they didn't know of any problems, just said it
|> hadn't been tested.
|>
|> Our experience between 3100s and 5810s has been 100% binary compatability.
|> If we could compile and run it on one, the binary would work on the other.
|> It's been a real plus to use a 3100 as a test bed for new software
|> development.  Lets us shake the bugs out in live use before putting it
|> on the 5810 to screw up all the users.  :-)
|>
|> Another local site with a 5400 and 3100s reports no problems with
|> interoperability.

Well I do not remember if I said this before.  Most of the  binaries
work fine except some of the  X11R4 binaries and most of MH binaries.
tcsh core dumped when it was called withing emacs and emacs (epoch?)
acted abnormal.

I have been told that there may be a version incompatibility, but
I am runing the latest greates Ultrix 3.1c on all of my DEC (risk)
machines.

DEC is comming tomorrow and I am going to show them the problem.