5400 binary and 3100 binary, are they compatible both ways?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Jul 21 04:30:49 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul20.162904.3793 at Neon.Stanford.EDU> farhad at CS.Stanford.EDU (Farhad Shakeri) writes:
> I do not know if this has been talked about but I missed it.
>
> When I installed our 3100s I just NFS mounted the /usr form
> out 5400 to save time and space.  All of the binaries on
> the 5400 were fine and we never had any problem with them. but
> the moment I and other users tried to use these binaries:
> X11R4 binaries, gnuemacs, tcsh, MH...  they all acted
> strange...

I'm doing essentially the same thing with a 3100 and a 5800 with
3.1c and haven't noticed any problems of this sort.

> Also  has anyone tried to make a 3100 kernel in /sys of
> a 5400?

Yep, seems to work.  Make sure the config file has all the appropriate
entries for a "UWS"* system and device entries.  Releases prior to 3.1[a-d]
didn't use explict config file entries for DS3100 devices.  I think there
are some suitable sample config files in the 3.1c /sys/conf directory to
work from.

> Or has anyone ever seen a problem like this?  What am I
> doing wrong?

I dunno, did you install 3.1c from tape on both systems or did you upgrade
the 3100's from a different release?  Are the 3100's as workstations with
UWS 2.2 libraries loaded on the server?  Did you install the mandatory
patch tape?  so on...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com