Question about /usr/ucb/man -P option

Leonard Peirce peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Tue Jul 17 06:21:27 AEST 1990

In article <3598 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU> rostamia at umbc3.umbc.edu.UMBC.EDU (Rouben Rostamian) writes:
>According to the documentation for ultrix V4.0, you may indeed specify an
>alternate path (to replace the default /usr/man) for the man page top
>directory using the -P option.  Alas, as far as I can tell, the -P option
>does not accept more than one directory name, so you cannot say
>man -P /usr/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/private/man ...
>as you do in System V derived systems.

Maybe someday DEC will finally fix this.  I myself complained with every
release since 2.2.  I guess that shows how much they listen to me. :-)

The fixes I made to the 4.3BSD man to make it work with ULTRIX were trivial.
It can use the MANPATH environment variable or the -P with multiple paths.
Come ON, DEC, it's not that tough to do.
Leonard Peirce                  Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce at gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computing Services     UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008            Phone:     (616) 387-5469