Multiple dump files per 8mm tape

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Mon Jul 16 02:46:04 AEST 1990

In article <71 at thoreau.nsc.com> macomber at thoreau.nsc.com (Robert Macomber) writes:
> I hate to parade out this tired out old question, but ... could some
> kind ULTRIXite send me a copy of their ULTRIX solution for placing
> multiple dump files on a single 8mm tape.  The method I've used for
> Suns with Delta Microsystems' 8mm drives doesn't work under ULTRIX
> 4.0.1.  DS5000s with Mountain 2100D drives; if it matters).

In what way does it fail?  While we all know it should work just be using
a no-rewind device, I'm beginning to suspect either backup or restore is
making wrong assumptions about tape block size for the second file on a
multi-file tape.  ("low density" uses a smaller block size than "high density")

I've had problems restoring from a multi-volume, multi-file restore tape,
that I've been too lazy to completely diagnose.  Doing a restore starting
at the second file fails, but copying the second file to disk using dd and
restoring from there shows that the data is really ok.

I guess I'll have to break down and figure out the details of what's really
on the tape, eh?

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com