HELP with DECstation 3100

Levent Acar acar at usenet.umr.edu
Wed Jul 11 03:24:48 AEST 1990

In article <160.2698e133 at miavx0.ham.muohio.edu> maoursler at miavx0.ham.muohio.edu writes:
|>Hi,
|>
|>	Well, we the people at Miami are still having loads of fun with
|>	our new DECstation 3100. 8-)
|>
|>	I have another problem that I very much hope has a SIMPLE solution.
|>	Somehow, I very much doubt it.  The problem is that when I use the
|>	'setld' command to install some libraries I get a rather unfriendly
|>	message telling me that package 'foo' requires package 'bar'.  Upon
|>	checking, it seems we have the newer version of 'bar'.  It asks for
|>	version 3 and we have 3.1.
|>
|>	Example:   requires UDTCOMM030  (we have UDTCOMM031)
|>
|>	I am writing this from memory, so I may be somewhat mixed up in my
|>	names, but this is the general problem.  We are unable to install
|>	several packages because of this.  Is there anything we can do
|>	short of getting newer versions of the packages that are looking
|>	for older stuff or getting older versions of the newer stuff.
|>
|>	ALL help greatly appreciated.  I am ODing on Tylenol.
|>

|>					- Miles -
|>					  maoursler at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
|>					  maoursler at miavx2.bitnet

I believe you got the update tape. In order to install Ultrix-32 V3.1,
you first have to install V3.0. This point is clearly stated in the
update installation document. I had no trouble installing V3.1 on top
of V3.0 using setld. There was only one subset UDTDL030 which was not
included in the V3.0, so the update UDTDL031: Diskless support Env.V3.1
did not get installed. I have a suspicion that DEC was shipping that
software separately when they first introduced V3.0.

I think setld is one of the better enhancements in Ultrix. It saves
a lot of headaches not only when you install it, but also when you
want to remove it.