How to use uucp on a VAXstation 3100 via Telebit modem?

Johan Vromans jv at mh.nl
Fri Jul 13 15:13:52 AEST 1990

In article <13165 at cbmvax.commodore.com> grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
grr> In article <1990Jul12.004749.4579 at watcgl.waterloo.edu>
grr> idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:

ian> Am I correct in my assesment that because the vs3100 has no modem
ian> control signals on its DECconnect plug, uucp can't be taught to
ian> "wait for carrier", and thus uucp will not work? ... So is uucp
ian> useless on a vs3100?

grr> Alledgedly, the VAXstation 3100 has no modem control, the
grr> DECstation has limited modem control on one of the ports.  This
grr> means that you can't get shared lines to work - modem has to be
grr> dedicated to either incoming or outgoing call and you'll have to
grr> dick with the modemcap stuff to get a sequence that pretty much
grr> ignores carrier and works by timouts/modem status strings.  This
grr> may be less than reliable.

I have connected a T2000 to the VS_SLU (/dev/tty02, standard cable, pins
2,3,6,7,20 straight through). I changed /usr/lib/uucp/addmodems to
accept 9600 baud for a telebit, and used /etc/uucpsetup to configure
this line "shared". No changes to /etc/modecap.

I cannot get tip/cu to work to dial manually, but UUCP works fine.
I'm using this line for both dialin and dialout with only one problem:
the jobs apparently do not get a HANGUP when the carrier drops.
Fortunately uucico times out after a while...

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv at mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv