Ultrix3.1 bug in ioctl(2)?

Frank Wortner frank at croton.enet.dec.com
Tue Jun 5 02:42:47 AEST 1990

> The bug I have reported is because I used gcc (version 1.36), without
> verifying, I supposed that the bug would also exist in native Ultrix
> compilers. I have checked cc(1) on VAX (Ultrix 3.0) and MIPSEL (Ultrix 3.1)
> and indeed: no runtime error and no echo! Thanks Han.

It's a known problem.  The ULTRIX OS header files are not written in
ANSI C --- the
same is true of most U**X-derived software.   The biggest offenders are
constructs
like:

#define foo(a)	('a')

Old C compilers would output

	('b')

when given

	foo(b)

as input.  An ANSI compiler will output

	('a')

Header files are being rewritten.  GCC comes with a script called
"fixincludes" which attempts
to find and repair this and other problems.   You should check to see if
1) it was run, and 2)
if fixincludes was run, that it did the job completely and correctly.

Regards,

					Frank