GCC 1.37.1 on a DECsystem 3100

Gunnar Teege teege at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Wed Jun 6 01:11:02 AEST 1990

In article <41714 at cornell.UUCP> alg at cs.cornell.edu (Anne Louise Gockel) writes:

>I followed the proceedures for compiling gcc 1.37.1 on a DECsystem 3100
>running UWS 2.2 / Ultrix 3.1.
>... in Step 10) of the INSTALL document, I found that many of the files had
>differences beyond just the date stamp.  The differences were extremely

I had the same problem.
<bogaart at serc.nl> gave me the right tip: the files all differ in the
COFF-timestamp (as written in the INSTALL file) and somewhere half way
down, where they contain the name of the intermediate file used by the
compiler when they were generated (funny - of course these names are
different). I checked my files: All other parts are identical.

Does anyone know why these file names are included into the o-files
and which part is doing that?

Perhaps this could be eliminated. At least there should be inserted
a hint in the INSTALL document like that for the COFF timestamp.

Gunnar Teege   Inst. fuer Informatik, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
               PO-Box 202420, 8000 Muenchen 2,  West-Germany
teege at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de        +49 89 2105 8179
teege%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@{unido.uucp,relay.cs.net,unido.bitnet}