GCC 1.37.1 on a DECsystem 3100

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Wed Jun 6 04:40:53 AEST 1990

In article <2635 at tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de>
teege at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Gunnar Teege) writes:

| In article <41714 at cornell.UUCP> alg at cs.cornell.edu (Anne Louise Gockel) writes:
| >
| >I followed the proceedures for compiling gcc 1.37.1 on a DECsystem 3100
| >running UWS 2.2 / Ultrix 3.1.
| >... in Step 10) of the INSTALL document, I found that many of the files had
| >differences beyond just the date stamp.  The differences were extremely
|
| I had the same problem.
| <bogaart at serc.nl> gave me the right tip: the files all differ in the
| COFF-timestamp (as written in the INSTALL file) and somewhere half way
| down, where they contain the name of the intermediate file used by the
| compiler when they were generated (funny - of course these names are
| different). I checked my files: All other parts are identical.
|
| Does anyone know why these file names are included into the o-files
| and which part is doing that?
|
| Perhaps this could be eliminated. At least there should be inserted
| a hint in the INSTALL document like that for the COFF timestamp.

I replied to the original article in the proper newsgroup of
gnu.gcc.bug rather than the inappropriate group of gnu.gcc.  The short
answer is yes, the assembler is putting the intermediate filename in
the object file's file table, and the patches I just sent to the FSF
fix this through a kludge.

--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so