Maxtor disks & DEC5000

Greg Pavlov pavlov at canisius.UUCP
Thu Oct 18 11:54:04 AEST 1990

In article <1774 at riscy.enet.dec.com>, frank at croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:

> > - this has been the case ever  since DEC introduced it's "own" filesystem -
> >    back at ULTRIX 2 (?).
>
> Could you clarify this a bit?  My copy of the ULTRIX 4.0 Software Product
> Description says:
> "The ULTRIX Operating System is compatible with other software
> system implementations which include:

  Sorry, I was in a hurry and was sloppy.  I even had the wrong version of
  ULTRIX  (it was 3, not 2).

  What I WAS referring to was the introduction of GFS/ufs .  I don't know
  how much of it was "concept", how much reality  (we can't afford the source
  code).  But lots of things did change.  One was that, up to that point,
  monkeying with tunefs had an effect, whil e afterward it didn't.  (We also
  had to replace our third party QBUS/SMD/MSCP controllers, but that's another
  story...)

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
  pavlov at stewart.fstrf.org