58n0

Michel Fingerhut mf at ircam.ircam.fr
Mon Oct 8 05:33:36 AEST 1990

alan at shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
>	The problem doesn't occur on all systems and didn't occur on
>	the systems we tested.  Now I don't know exactly how our engineering
>	group does their testing...

... so please don't say it did not occur.  DEC acknowledges the problem
occurs, and that one of the problems is a design flaw in the scheduler which
causes lousy response time for small interactive jobs or commands (such
as ls) but which makes the 5820 a great machine for batch.  Too bad.  Should
have gotten an IBM.

>	So, please provide us with as information as possible to
>	help us solve the problem.

Response to all the information I gave was "next release".

>	The official reporting channel for this things is an SPR.

No, at least not this side of the ocean.

>	(*) My personal opinion is that we should allow submitting SPRs
>	via e-mail

Yeah mine too, with automatic aknowledgment, and the possibility to consult
an online database of bug reports

>	but I'm only a system manager

What about some responses from people at DEC who KNOW what's happening?

Michael Fingerhut