58n0

mike gerard jmg at cernvax.UUCP
Tue Oct 2 22:01:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct1.080535.17017 at ircam.ircam.fr> mf at ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) writes:
>As to reporting the problem: we can do it only by phone, are given a
>call number and most of the time hear that it will get in the next
>release, hopefully.

We suffer from the same restrictions, except for the fact that normally
we don't even hear such pleasant news as "fixed in next release".
In addition, "official" DEC channels refuse to comment on problems
mentioned in places like this: they ask you to submit a bug report if
you have a problem.

It is ridiculous that there is (apparently) no data base of known
problems and, where possible, available patches. I know that there are
various patches available, some of which seem to be considered "mandatory".
However, access seems only to be for those people having wasted their
time identifying a known problem on their own systems.
 _ _  o |            __                    |    jmg at cernvax.uucp