Maxtor disks & DEC5000

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Oct 18 22:12:21 AEST 1990

In article <1774 at riscy.enet.dec.com> frank at croton.enet.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:

> > - this has been the case ever  since DEC introduced it's "own" filesystem -
> >    back at ULTRIX 2 (?).
>
> Could you clarify this a bit?  My copy of the ULTRIX 4.0 Software Product
> Description says:
>
> "The ULTRIX Operating System is compatible with other software
> system implementations which include:

Ultrix filesystems started to diverge from BSD a long time ago.  Ultrix
partition tables are not compatible with the 4.3 BSD equivalents, makeing
"partitions are compatible" mean that the paritions are located at default
ultrix compiled into the driver locations.  The filesystem "clean bit"
was orginally incompatible with the Berkeley definition, but this was
fixed.  It's not clear how compatible the new Ultrix 4.0 "clean" notions
are with 4.3 BSD.  Ultrix fsck violently objects to new superblock fields
defined in 4.3 Tahoe and can't "fix" the superblock.  It's not obvious
whether you can build filesystems with the 4.3 Tahoe that Ultrix can't
deal with, or that it tries to and dies an ulgy death...

All in all, they are still highly compatible, but it would be nice if
Ultrix upgraded their filesystem code to the 4.3 Tahoe level.  Living with
a frozen 4.2 BSD porting base must be soooo much fun for the Ultrix
development group in the 90's...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com