TCP chokes between Ultrix 4 and 3.1c systems

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Oct 10 17:08:03 AEST 1990

In article <3246 at uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin at primate.wisc.edu writes:
> From article <lgy.655493851 at newton>, by lgy at phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe):
> > gamiddle at maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
> >>Aha.  That seems to fix the problem.  I'll disable trailers on all our mips
> >>boxes; they are evil in any case.
> >
> >     Why?
>
> I don't know the "official" answer, the the practical answer is:
> precisely because they cause the kind of problems seen in this thread.
> Not all implementations of TCP/IP know about them, and some handle them
> badly, and you get crashed, hung or broken connections of all sorts.
> Such as (this is what I've seen here, communicating with, e.g., 3b2's

On the other hand, Ultrix 3.1 trailer negotiation seems to work, and if
Ultrix 3.1 and Ultrix 4.0 can't talk TCP with and without trailers, then
there is something wrong.

I hope someone having this diffuculty follows up with the Support Center
or an SPR, in this day and age, networking problems shouldn't be left
lingering around till the "next release"...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com