TCP chokes between Ultrix 4 and 3.1c systems

Brain in Neutral bin at primate.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 10 08:23:13 AEST 1990

>From article <lgy.655493851 at newton>, by lgy at phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe):
> gamiddle at maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
>>Aha.  That seems to fix the problem.  I'll disable trailers on all our mips
>>boxes; they are evil in any case.
>
>     Why?

I don't know the "official" answer, the the practical answer is:
precisely because they cause the kind of problems seen in this thread.
Not all implementations of TCP/IP know about them, and some handle them
badly, and you get crashed, hung or broken connections of all sorts.
Such as (this is what I've seen here, communicating with, e.g., 3b2's
or IBM mainframes):
	SMTP sessions that hang at the end, resulting in mail being
		sent over and over...
	NNTP sessions hanging forever
	etc.

--
Paul DuBois
dubois at primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"