TCP chokes between Ultrix 4 and 3.1c systems

Greg Pavlov pavlov at canisius.UUCP
Thu Oct 11 12:53:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct9.040440.23066 at watcgl.waterloo.edu>, idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
> > ....  When I use ftp, telnet, or even mail to a DS3100 running Ultrix 3.1c
> >from my DS5000 running Ultrix 4.0, the connection hangs whenever 512 or more
> >bytes are sent from a single operation (e.g., mail messages, ftp files,...
>
> Aha!  We see this behaviour between real MIPS machines and our Ultrix
> 3.1C DECsystem 5400's.  BSD Vaxen, Suns, other machines, have no
> problem talking to the 5400's, but connecitons from those three MIPS
> machines hang on large packets. ...

  We have 4.0 on all of our DEC 3100's, 3.n on our 5810 and 5400, 2.n on a uVAX
  II, and we also have a MIPS M/120.  We run telnet, rlogin, tar, and NFS bet-
  ween all of them with no problems.

  We did have a problem that sounds suspiciously like your's when we first
  received the M/120  (...anyone wanna to buy it ?  It's a very nice machine..).
  Removing the "trailers" option on packets eliminated it...

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny
    pavlov at stewart.fstrf.org