DUMP: SIGSEGV() ABORTING!

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Fri Oct 5 13:25:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct5.001625.11355 at Neon.Stanford.EDU>, farhad at CS.Stanford.EDU (Farhad Shakeri) writes:
> In article <1753 at shodha.enet.dec.com>, alan at shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
> |> In article <1990Oct3.171146.4158 at Neon.Stanford.EDU>, farhad at CS.Stanford.EDU (Farhad Shakeri) writes:
> |> }
> |> } [ Dump fails with a segmentation fault. ]
> |> }
> |>
> |> [ I suggest that it might a lack of the /etc/dumpdates file. ]
>
> dump failed in all cases with or without 'u' .

	Not that bug, oh well.  Try this one.  Take a very close
	look at /etc/fstab.  Particularly the 2nd field of each
	line.  Are all the path names properly formed?  Do they
	all begin with '/'?  How about the rest of the file?  Any
	missing fields?  It seems that dump is very intolerent
	of a bad /etc/fstab.

	This too is a bug.  If it turns out to be this, then please
	submit an SPR on it.  While you're there you should also
	mention that a successful dump returns an exit status of
	one (1) instead of zero (0) like most programs.  I also
	consider this one a bug.  Maybe it will get fixed in the
	OSF/1 based system...

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com