DUMP: SIGSEGV() ABORTING!

Jim Davidson 6600jimi at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Sat Oct 6 09:45:25 AEST 1990

In article <1753 at shodha.enet.dec.com> alan at shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:

Yes!  We have the exact same problem on 2 3100's and 2 2100's!  I
thought we were alone!

>In article <1990Oct3.171146.4158 at Neon.Stanford.EDU>, farhad at CS.Stanford.EDU (Farhad Shakeri) writes:
>}
>} [ Dump fails with a segmentation fault. ]
>}

>	I have two questions back at you.  Are you using the
>	'u' flag to update /etc/dumpdates?  Does the file
>	/etc/dumpdates really exist?  If the answer to the
>	first question is yes and the second no, create one
>	and see if the problem goes away.

I can answer this:  It makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE!  In fact,
if the /etc/dumpdates file exists and is not empty, doing

% dump w

to list file systems to dump will give "Segmentation fault (core
dumped)" This is a long standing problem I have had and Dec has never been
able to solve it.  Just today I showed this annoyance to a
hardware guy from Dec (here for another reason) and he thinks it's
software.  However, I was on the phone for hours with Atlanta
a few months back to no avail.  My attempted solution was to simply
tar off what I needed and install straight from the book Ultrix 4.0.
This changed nothing!  Be assured, your dump image is fine- you
can call Atlanta and compare the output of

% sum /usr/bin/dump

with your machine and a machine at the hands of the Dec support
person.  I'm positive they'll match.  The very strange thing
is that it seems to be a bug that spreads- it started on
a 3100 we had on loan, spread to a second loaner 3100, and
is now infesting two 2100's we've bought.

Ths truth of the matter is that we are mostly a Sun shop here
and the DecStations have always been a low priority for us so
this problem has been ignored.  We don't really care if these
machines all crash terribly without a backup, as I've said the
3100's are loaners and if I had my way we'll send the two
2100's back for some vt1300 X-terminals.

>	If it does PLEASE, PLEASE submit an SPR.  Bugs like
>	this should have disappeared ages ago.

How exactly does one submit an SPR?  Better yet, please
call me at (805)893-2896 and I'll be happy to discuss the
problem with you directly (or maybe trade in options?).

Jim Davidson					jimbo at Nsfitp.ITP.UCSB.Edu
Institute for Theoretical Physics		jimbo at sbitp.bitnet
University of California at Santa Barbara

  Jim Davidson					jimbo at sbitp.bitnet
  Institute for Theoretical Physics		jimbo at sbitp.ucsb.edu
  UC Santa Barbara