terminal port on VAXstation2000

Rod Stephens krs0 at GTE.COM
Tue Oct 16 21:24:56 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct15.145415.6759 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kbesrl at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jim Thompson ) writes:

>I want to use a PC on the terminal port (I don't know what exactly it is
>called, but it is marked ---->) on the VAXstation 2000.
>                         <----
>
>What file in /dev am I supposed to use for this and what should be the entry
>in /etc/ttys file?
>
>Thanks.
>-- sudhakar

I am using this port on a DECstation 3100 to write to a DECtalk
application. I just dump text to it over an RS-232 cable. The same
things should work for you (I think). I had to:

1. Create /dev/ttyd0. We just installed Ultrix 4.0 and this file did
not come installed. After much digging we learned that you can move
another tty file to this file so we moved tty00 to ttyd0.

2. Turn on the /etc/ttys entry. We configured it as a modem line
looking for a VT240. It seemed to work so we didn't mess with it much.
	ttyd0	"/etc/getty std.9600"	vt240	on shared secure

3. Restart init so it looks at the new ttys entry:
	# kill -HUP 1

Don't forget your null-modem cable.

If I hook a VT240 to this port, it can log in as a normal terminal.
Presumably the same will work for you.

The DECstation 3100 also has a funny plug -- kind of like a lop-sided
phone plug. We had to order:

	10 feet of 6 conductor cable (to go into the plug), DEC part
	number BC16E-10/CAA, $6.00

	MMJ to EIA female 25 pin adapter (to convert the 6 conductor
	cable to 25 pin), DEC part number H8575-A, $22.00(?)

Good luck!

| Rod Stephens           | "Haven't I told you not to play      |
| GTE Laboratories, Inc  |  with my super-weapons? You might    |
| (617)466-4182          |  devastate yourself!"                |
| krs0 at gte.com           |                                      |