imake not available on Ultrix 3.1/4.0?

Daryl Morse morse at quark.mpr.ca
Sat Oct 20 02:12:04 AEST 1990

In article <144 at rc6.urc.tue.nl> rcpt at rw7.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) writes:

  ... What is the reason DEC has ommitted `imake' with there DECwindows?

I am also curious as to why DEC has ommitted 'imake', in addition to
the rest of the MIT X11 release. (Yes, I have the "unsupported" X
software installed.) The local SUN-worshippers never fail to notice
such ommisions, and for good reason. They can take an typical X11
application and build it without any difficulty whatsoever.
DECstations users, however, are forced to build applications on
machines running MIT X11, and then copy them onto machines running
DECwindows. In my opinion, this is inexcusable, and is a large blot on
an otherwise excellent architecture.

DEC, are you listening? How about turning over a new leaf when the
move is made to X11R4. (I gather that might be quite soon!) Why not
put the different flavours of X11 files in *different* directories,
and include imake, so users will not have to suffer so much when they
try to build "generic" X11 applications.

Daryl
--
Daryl Morse                     | Voice : (604) 293-5476
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC    | E-Mail: morse at quark.mpr.ca
Canada, V5A 4B5                 |         quark.mpr.ca!morse at uunet.uu.net