Ultrix tutorial needed...

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Wed Oct 17 11:45:18 AEST 1990

In article <90289.182545ESV at psuvm.psu.edu> ESV at psuvm.psu.edu (ANDREW COLL) writes:
>[...]  Does
>anyone know of a tutorial for someone like me
>(comp.msdos.only!unix&ultrix.bonehead)
>thats available via anonymous ftp?  I have three weeks
>to become "fully operational" on these machines.

	Your best bet would be to visit just about any bookstore with a
reasonable selection of computer books and get an introductory text on
using UNIX. Most of the UNIX-related documentation I know of on the net
is bits and pieces, dealing with specific areas, rather than general
introductions. A good introductory text (should) will make some effort
to follow a reasoned progression, rather than the masses of RFCs and
such that you can grab from the net. My personal favorite UNIX books
are somewhat dated: S.R. Bourne's "The UNIX System" and Kernighan and
Pike's "The UNIX Programming Environment". If you hunt for books make
sure they're about Berkeley UNIX (bsd) NOT System V (if you're trying
to grow to know and love ULTRIX) - System V is different in ways that
people seem to make a lot of money arguing over. :)

mjr.