Ultrix tutorial needed...

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Oct 17 13:06:56 AEST 1990

In article <90289.182545ESV at psuvm.psu.edu> ESV at psuvm.psu.edu (ANDREW COLL) writes:
> My department just bought nine 3000 series decstations.  The
> problem is, I don't know a thing about Ultrix, or unix.  Does
> anyone know of a tutorial for someone like me
> (comp.msdos.only!unix&ultrix.bonehead)
> thats available via anonymous ftp?  I have three weeks
> to become "fully operational" on these machines.

Well, if "fully operational" involves system administration, then I'd
recommend getting a copy of "Unix System Adminsistration Handbook" by
Nemeth/Snyder/Seebass, Prentice Hall ISBN 0-13-933441-6.  Also, don't
ignore the Ultrix administrator's guides, they are fairly detailed as far
as how to do, if weak on what or why to do...

For more user oriented matters, there's the something called the
"C-shell field guide" and a book by Wang? on working the Berkeley
environment.  Try to avoid the 10,000 generic AT&T unix oriented
books by TAB, etc...

You should also consider picking up some of the "Nutshell" handbooks.
Check something like Unix/World or Unix Review for ad's.

Good luck!

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com