How to do shared modem on DS200 terminal server from Ultrix?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sun Sep 16 05:54:23 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep15.053123.21371 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
> >You can consider LAT to a terminal with nomodem control and that the cable
> >is cut when the user is finished.  (A new cable is strung when the next user
> >logs in).  Since shared is only supported on ttys with full modem-control,
> >it won't work on LAT.
>
> Wot?  You mean I bought three DS200/MC units with modem control and
> the modem signals are not propagated back to the Ultrix ttys?  What's
> the point of modem control on the DS200 then?

Basic modem control *is* supported, i.e. CD to detect hangups and probably
DSR to enable/disable answer, but that doesn't mean the emulation is good
enough to support the Ultrix flavor of shared modem support (though it might
work).  You may also have problems with things like "send break" or having
to hit return to establish an incoming connection, which may or may not be
a problem for your intended use.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com