Security & COPS

wayne e vanpelt vanpelt at crd.ge.com
Fri Sep 14 23:51:23 AEST 1990

Recently one of my coworkers attended a Usenix Conveference on Security.
He brought back with him COPS, a script that will indicate various
weeknesses existing on a particular system. When executed on our vax
3500 running ultrix 3.2 it indicated that /dev/kmem and /dev/mem were
world readable. When this permission was removed, various programs broke
(ps, uptime, and w I know about and adjusted). It appeared to cause some
mail to bounce but I'm not sure if that was a result of the change.

Does anyone have a list of the programs that come with ultrix that need
permission to read /dev/kmem? (Please respond via e-mail to
'vanpelt at crd.ge.com' as I do not regularly read this news group).

Thanks,
 Wayne