How to do shared modem on DS200 terminal server from Ultrix?

Matt Thomas thomas at mipsbx.lkg.dec.com
Sun Sep 16 07:38:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep15.053123.21371 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
>>You can consider LAT to a terminal with nomodem control and that the cable
>>is cut when the user is finished.  (A new cable is strung when the next user
>>logs in).  Since shared is only supported on ttys with full modem-control,
>>it won't work on LAT.
>
>Wot?  You mean I bought three DS200/MC units with modem control and
>the modem signals are not propagated back to the Ultrix ttys?  What's
>the point of modem control on the DS200 then?

Such that when the user logs off, the DECserver detects the change and
kills all of his sessions.  Or so that you can do hardware (CTS/RTS or
DSR/DTR) flow control.

Under LAT, modem control signals are not communicated up to the host.  They
are dealt with entirely by the terminal server (with the end result being
propogated to the host -- if needed).

Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas at wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.