Is there appletalk support in Ultrix 4.0? And if not...

Jeffrey Mogul mogul at wrl.dec.com
Sat Sep 1 09:34:51 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug31.070826.23080 at ircam.ircam.fr> mf at ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) writes:
>... does anyone have the required patches to the kernel to have it there?

I've heard a rumor that someone (perhaps at Columbia?  I've forgotten)
has done Appletalk support for Ultrix using the packet filter (which
is available in Ultrix 4.0).  Or perhaps the rumor was that it had
been done for the Stanford packet filter, which essentially the same
code.

At any rate, a packet-filter-based Appletalk should be usable on
Ultrix 4.0 without any kernel changes; the performance should be
acceptable.  Also, any implementation based on Sun's NIT interface
should be fairly easy to port.

If anyone has better information about this, please send me mail
(I don't normally read comp.protocols.appletalk).

-Jeff