too many users

Philip Y. de Louraille jpyll at lhdsy1.chevron.com
Sat Apr 20 01:14:54 AEST 1991

> > After I log into my machine about 8 times, I get the message "too many
> > users: try again later".  I thought the way to make this go away was

> It sounds like you have an eight user license.  If you login, rlogin, telnet,
> one terminal session, but don't want to login again, you can fork off xterms
> or dxterms with the DISPLAY set back to some X display device.
>
> 					Frank

Frank is right in principle, but "you don't have to login again" is wrong since you don't have to login at all! We have plenty of DECstation 3100 with only 2 user-licenses and we access them all remotely by rsh'ing.
example: xhost + remote; rsh remote xterm -d $YOURDISPLAY &
On some of our machines, if you do w, even though we have a 2 user license, you might see 10+ users!
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: jpyll at chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems
  Chevron Information & Technology Co.      Tel: (213) 694-9232
  P.O. Box 446, La Habra, CA 90633-0446     Fax: (213) 694-7709