too many users

frank at urz.unibas.ch frank at urz.unibas.ch
Wed Apr 17 19:55:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr16.193417.25601 at agate.berkeley.edu>, faustus at ygdrasil.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
> This problem must have come up before...  I have a 3100 running 4.0.
> After I log into my machine about 8 times, I get the message "too many
> users: try again later".  I thought the way to make this go away was
> "lmf reset" but it doesn't seem to work.  What should I do?  Is this
> some sort of kernel compile-time constant?  Thanks,
>
> 	Wayne

Yep, it is.
First you must have a license for more than 8 users.
(Type license as root on root to verify.)

Second you must specify a value greater or equal to the licens number-of-users
in the kernel configuration file. Called something like
/usr/sys/conf/vax/HOSTNAME or
/usr/sys/conf/mips/HOSTNAME. Set the line maxusers        xx to the appropriate
value.

Last "doconfig".

 | _____   __  _____       Robert Frank                                       |
 |   |    /      |         Institut fuer Informatik                           |
 |   |    |      |         University of Basel, Switzerland                   |
 |   |    |      |         Mittlere Strasse 142                               |
 | __|__  |    __|__       CH-4056 Basel                                      |
 | frank at urz.unibas.ch     tel. + (061) 321 99 67    fax + (061) 321 99 15    |